By definition, Standardized Dress is a flexible selection of clothing from which students may choose. Standardized dress is not a uniform where every student is dressed in identical outfits. Standardized Dress is designed to promote school unity and pride, create a safe and positive climate, and ensure a distraction-free learning environment.
The Basics of the Standardized Dress Code
General Expectation: All students must wear a collared shirt or a Tanglewood t-shirt tucked in at the waist everyday unless wearing a one piece dress. All pants must fit at the natural waist and not sag below the waistline. Belts are suggested for bottoms with belt loops.
- A solid, striped or plaid collared shirt
- A TWES T-shirt, club shirt, or award shirt
- Tops may have a logo no larger than a half dollar.
- All tops must be long enough to remain tucked in at the waist at all times.
- Tops must fit loosely enough that all buttons can be closed.
- Tops must not be larger than one size more than the student’s actual size.
- Pants must fit at the natural waist.
- Pants may not have embellishments, wording, tears, or rips.
- Shorts must be fingertip in length or longer.
- Capris are acceptable.
- Leggings are not acceptable unless worn under a dress or skirt.
- Skirts or skorts must be fingertip in length or just above the knee. Shorts under skirts are recommended.
- One piece dresses are permissible and must be fingertip in length or longer.
- Belts are suggested for bottoms with belt loops. If a belt is worn, the buckle must be a basic buckle with no embellishments. Pants must fit at the natural waist and not sag below the waistline.
- All jackets, hoodies, and sweaters must be a solid color or an overall print or pattern that is school appropriate. Pullover sweatshirts and hoods are not allowed. Jackets and hoodies must have a zippered or buttoned front which is to be left open during school hours so that the tucked in shirt can be seen.
Hair and Head Wear
- Student hair color is limited to any naturally occurring color. Hair coloring that is blue, purple, pink, etc is not allowed. Extreme, distracting hair styles and hair cuts are not acceptable. Bandanas, scarves and hats are not permitted with the exception of hats for outdoor activities.
- Closed toe shoes are encouraged at school. Tennis shoes must be worn at PE.
- Warm up pants, leggings, pullover sweatshirts, pullover jackets, spaghetti strap dresses and tank tops, wheeled shoes, high heeled shoes, flip flops, bedroom slippers, or shoes without a heel strap are not allowed. Articles of clothing may not have rips, tears, or holes. Additionally, makeup and acrylic fingernails are not permissible.
ADMINISTRATORS HAVE THE RESPONSIBILITY TO DETERMINE APPROPRIATENESS OF ATTIRE AND GROOMING EXPECTATIONS FOR A DISTRACTION-FREE SCHOOL SETTING. FAILURE TO ADHERE TO THE STANDARDIZED DRESS CODE MAY RESULT IN DISCIPLINARY ACTION.